As the weather heats up, the treats get colder. Cool off this season with this super simple and scrumptious recipe for Ice Cream Pie made with Blue Bunny® ice cream.
My kids and I love to spend a lot of time outside during the spring and summer months. There are picnics, cookouts, playdates at the park, trips to the zoo, and just good, old-fashioned backyard fun. Even today we're spending most of the day outside getting the new chicken coop ready for our hens and working out in the garden.
All of this time outside time calls for some cold treats to cool off with. Blue Bunny® ice cream--our favorite--is a delicious way to top off a day well spent. The flavorful ice cream that my family loves can be enjoyed in a whole new way with this super simple recipe for Ice Cream Pie!
Blue Bunny® just came out with loads of delicious new flavors of ice cream. One flavor that I especially love is the New! PB 'N Cones™ which has swirls of peanut butter and crunchy chocolate dipped cone pieces throughout the creamy vanilla ice cream. This particular flavor reminds me of my childhood when my sister and I would enjoy chocolate dipped cones after a long day of playing outside. So good!
The PB 'N Cones™ ice cream is what I used for this pie recipe, but any flavor would work. I also picked up Monster Cookie Mash from Walmart for us to enjoy. Whichever flavor you chose, Blue Bunny® ice cream really is the perfect way to top off a fun day!
Ready to make an ice cream pie for your family and friends? Here's how!
Homemade Chocolate Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs (20 squares crunched into fine crumbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, prepare 1 1/2 cups of fine chocolate graham cracker crumbs by crunching up 20 chocolate graham cracker squares. I like to use a large wooden spoon to break the crackers apart in a glass mixing bowl. You can also place them in a gallon-sized plastic bag and break them down with a rolling pin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, and melted butter.
- Pour the mixture into a pie pan. Press the mixture out evenly along the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Note: For a no-bake pie, let the crust reach room temperature and then chill it for an hour before adding the filling.
Great! Now that you have your crust, it's time to make the pie!
Simple Homemade Ice Cream Pie
- graham cracker crust
- ice cream (I used Blue Bunny® PB 'N Cones™ for this pie.)
- whipped cream
- chocolate or caramel syrups (optional)
- Let the ice cream sit out long enough to soften. You don't want it melted, but you do want it to be soft enough to spread.
- Spread the ice cream out into the pie crust. Set it back into the freezer to harden.
- Remove the pie from the freezer to add a generous layer of whipped cream to the top of the pie. Place back into the freezer.
- When you are ready to serve, pull the pie out of the freezer. Cut it into slices and add syrups or other toppings. Enjoy!
That's it! This recipe really is so simple because it's the ice cream itself that does most of the work in making this treat so tasty. That's why it's important to choose a quality ice cream. The magic really is in the mix.
Want to make this recipe even simpler? Skip making your own crust and use a store-bought crust. Don't worry. I won't tell. (wink, wink) This ice cream pie is such a quick and easy way to whip up a treat for those neighborhood ice cream socials or backyard barbecues. Friends and family will think you spent hours making it, and only you will know how simple it really is.
Love this recipe? You might also enjoy these scrumptious Banana Split Brownie Bites! Be sure to also take a peek at the Blue Bunny® website for more delicious ice cream recipes.
Happy ice cream snacking!