When I go grocery shopping, I always try to shop the rainbow. "Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and don't forget there's purple too," runs through my mind as I stroll through the produce and juice aisles. Have you heard the rainbow song from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse? Yes, that's the one that plays through my head at the grocery store. I guess that's what comes from having young children who love Mickey Mouse. I know my method is silly, but a colorful diet really is key to ensuring that my family gets the wide variety of essential nutrients that their bodies need. Blue and purple are sometimes the hardest to find, but Welch's 100% Grape Juice made with Concord Grapes is an easy way to incorporate purple into my family's diet.
Did you know Welch's 100% Grape Juice helps support a healthy heart? And it's the main ingredient in this 3-ingredient sorbet. Yes, you read that right! This frozen treat only requires three ingredients with the main ingredient being one you can feel good about serving your family. Don't you just love recipes with only a few ingredients?!
With this recipe, you'll be making a grape mixture that freezes well and still maintains a delicious, sweet flavor. It's perfect for turning into a sorbet, as pictured. You can also use this same recipe to make popsicles which we all know kids love!
I will admit that this recipe does require ample freezing time unless you're using an ice cream maker. It's a great recipe to whip up when you know you'll be available to check on the freezing process a few times before leaving it to completely set in the freezer overnight.
Not only is this a delicious frozen treat to whip up for the kids, but it's a stunning sorbet to serve to guests. Fresh mint leaves contrast beautifully with the deep purple of the grape sorbet. The flavors of mint and grape are also a surprisingly refreshing combination. Feel free to leave off the mint leaves if you're just making it for your kids, though. Pretty as they are; they're completely optional.
Ready for the full scoop on this fruit sorbet? Here's how to whip up a batch for your family or guests!
Grape Sorbet Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 cups Welch's 100% Grape Juice
- mint leaves (optional)
- Pour water and maple syrup into a small saucepan. Stir these two ingredients together.
- Heat on medium for 10-15 minutes to make a thin, hot syrup. Stir frequently.
- Remove the syrup from heat and set it aside to cool slightly for a few minutes.
- Pour Welch's 100% Grape Juice into a large mixing bowl. Add the syrup mixture to the grape juice and stir.
- Set the bowl in the freezer for 3-4 hours. Remove it from the freezer a few times to scrape the sides of the bowl and stir the mixture.
- Once the mixture reaches a slushy consistency, pour it into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Set the loaf pan in the freezer to freeze overnight.
- Remove the sorbet from the freezer. Set it out to thaw for 15-30 minutes. This makes it easier to scoop and serve.
- Mint leaves can be added prior to serving. Enjoy!
- For faster results, the juice and syrup mixture (after step 4) can be put into an ice cream maker and churned according to the machine's instructions until the sorbet is thick and frozen.
- Pour the juice and syrup mixture into popsicle molds for another frozen treat option.
Want to try this delicious treat? Here's a coupon for the main ingredient. Click right here to save on the Welch's 100% Grape Juice you'll need to make this tasty Grape Sorbet!
Happy sorbet making!