You are also going to love how easy they are to prepare. Forget the candy thermometer and oven. There's no need for them with this recipe. All you need are a few ingredients, supplies, and mere minutes.
Wrapped and packaged, these caramel candies make a scrumptious gift--if they last that long. Ours didn't last more than a day with my family savoring every sugary, sweet bite. That's alright! It's gives me an excuse to make more here at the holidays.
Ready to try this homemade caramel candy recipe for yourself? Keep reading...
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light Karo Syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla
- coarse salt (optional)
- Gather your ingredients and find a large microwave safe bowl. I recommend using one with a handle, so you can easily pull it out of the microwave even when the rest of the bowl becomes hot. You'll also need a small baking pan.
- Grease the baking pan and set it aside.
- Place butter in the bowl and microwave it at 15 second intervals until it melts.
- Add both types of sugar, syrup, and sweetened condensed milk. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Microwave the sugary mixture for 1 1/2 minutes. Pull it from the microwave and stir. Repeat this step 3 more times. The mixture will become hot and bubbly.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Let it cool to room temperature before placing it in the refrigerator. Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Once your caramel is chilled, you can cut it into pieces and wrap each piece individually in parchment paper.
- Optional: For salted caramels, sprinkle a small amount of salt on each caramel piece before wrapping it.
*Tip: Best if kept refrigerated until ready to eat or serve.
For another delicious candy recipe, enjoy these sugary sweet Peanut Butter Pinwheels.
Happy candy making!