My craft for today is a t-shirt featuring none other than The Very Hungry Caterpillar himself! These DIY shirts are super fun and easy to make! It's the perfect outfit for a Hungry Caterpillar themed birthday party or just an ordinary day at home. Ready to make one for your little ones? Here's how...
DIY The Very Hungry Caterpillar T-Shirt
- t-shirt or infant bodysuit
- transfer paper
- inkjet printer
1. Gather your materials. You'll want to use a white t-shirt unless you get transfer paper intended for darker colors. Place a piece of transfer paper into your inkjet printer. Make sure to insert the paper according to the instructions on the package. Save the following image to your desktop. Set your printer to the correct setting for printing a 5 x 7 image. Print the caterpillars onto your transfer paper. Tip: You may want to test printing the images on regular paper before trying it on your transfer paper.
2. Use your scissors to cut closely around one of the caterpillar images.
3. Set your iron to the highest setting. The instructions for the transfer paper say to put your iron on the highest cotton setting, but I get better results by using a setting beyond cotton. Place the caterpillar face down in the desired location. Evenly apply pressure and heat onto the caterpillar cutout to transfer the image to your fabric.
4. Gently peel the paper backing away to reveal the transferred graphic. Tip: If you notice that the paper isn't peeling away easily, apply more heat and pressure with the iron before continuing. The shirt is now ready for your little one to try on.
Be sure to check back tomorrow for another fun craft based theme around The Very Hungry Caterpillar. For more fun, be sure to also check out the other posts in this series from The Natural Homeschool and Harrington Harmonies.