The T-Shirt Headband
*basic sewing supplies (pins, scissors, measuring tape...)
*t-shirt (It needs to be a t-shirt with a little bit of stretch to it.)
*snaps (I use size 4 of the Dritz snaps)
1. Measure around your child's head where a headband would go. Cut a strip of fabric from a t-shirt that is this length and three inches wide. Example: My daughter's head measured 19 inches, so I cut out a strip that was 19 inches by 3 inches.
2. Fold the strip in half lengthwise and sew along the raw edge.
3. I like to cut right along the stitching with zig zag scissors--just to neaten things up a bit.
4. Turn the strip right side out and press with an iron. Fold the headband where the two small ends meet and the rights sides are together. Sew the two small ends together and trim this edge with your zig zag scissors. You have now made the headband. It is important to use fabric that has a little give and stretch to it, so your headband will stretch some.
5. Attach a snap onto both the headband and the item you want to use to embellish your headband. You can use fabric flowers, artificial flowers, fabric bows...
The possibilities are endless. The great thing about using snaps is that you can change your embellishment with each wardrobe change.
Pinwheel Fabric Tutorial