A lady at our church is having a baby shower tomorrow. My sister and I wanted to do something special for her, so I suggested we make a diaper cake. I was going to teach Allison how to do this tonight, but she was swamped with homework from her summer classes. She managed to pull herself away long enough to help buy the items we needed though. Since she didn't get the opportunity to come back home with me and learn how to make one...I decided I would do a "how to" post on making the diaper cake. Here it is, Sissy!
*diapers (A pack of 60 will easily make a 2-tiered cake. Use more diapers to make more tiers.)
*ribbon (Wide ribbon works best to hide the rubber bands.)
1. Roll up a diaper and secure it with a rubber band.
2. Continue to roll all of the diapers.
3. Stand the diaper rolls up to begin forming the cake around the circumference of the cake tray.
4. After you have a couple rows formed, find something circular to place in the middle. This will stabilize the opening in the bottom tier.
5. Use glue dots to place a ribbon around the diapers. In order to make everything more secure, add a few more diaper rolls while your circular item is still in place in the middle of the cake tier. When the rows are made nice and tight, the cake stays together beautifully.
6. Now you are ready for the next tier. Use the same circular item you used to place in the middle of tier one as a guide for beginning tier two. Begin by placing diapers around the item. Once you have the circumference set, you can remove this item. (Note: If you plan on doing another tier do not fill this tier in completely with diapers. Leave an opening, and make this tier exactly the same way you made the first tier--only smaller.)
7. This particular cake is only two tiers, so I filled in the rest of the rows with diapers. Secure a ribbon around the diaper rolls using the glue dots again. If you have extra diapers, stuff them into this tier or any other row on another tier that needs to be a little tighter.
8. Begin placing your gift items into the opening in the center of your cake leaving off the top tier since it is the only tier that doesn't have an opening.
9. Finish placing all of your gift items. Pacifiers, baby caps, mittens, and booties all fit into this cake. Place the top tier over the opening where you put your gifts.
10. Make a bow out of your remaining ribbon to secure onto the cake with a glue dot.
Now you have a lovely diaper cake that any mommy-to-be would love!
Diaper Cake Poem
Here's a cake for your special day,
Because the stork is on its way.
Flour, sugar, milk, and eggs
will make a cake so sweet,
*But diapers, booties, and baby mittens
will make a handy treat!
*Substitute this line with things you are including with your diaper cake.